Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Connection: Chapter 16

Robert exhaled deeply and focused on the ground. "I don't think shooting me is a good idea, Fatality," he said.

"And why is that? I happen to know these rooms are soundproof."

"Perhaps," he said as he removed the walkie-talkie from his pocket, "but there's still the two thousand cyberathletes on the convention floor who would hear the shot."

The arrogance disappeared instantly. Fatality held the gun in disbelief. "You're bluffing," he said weakly.

"Perhaps," Robert said. "But if I'm not, you have roughly thirty seconds to escape this building with your freedom, if not your reputation. I noticed a number of cops on my way here."

Dread filled Fatality's face. The gun arm wavered. Robert watched the man's life disintegrate in between them. He laid the radio on the glass table. "It would appear I chose the better weapon," he said.

Fatality sank into a chair. Robert relaxed with the lowering of the gun. He opened the door. Hesitating, he left the broken man with his head in his hands.