Meet Keiran. Keiran is tall.
See Keiran walk.
Keiran walks fast, just like his dad.
Listen to Keiran sing. He sounds good, but not too good.
See Keiran act. He acts like he is a fool. It's in the script.
See Keiran flunk out of college, take odd jobs and try to figure out his life. That's not in the script.
See Keiran move to another country. The people are nice. Too nice.
Listen to Keiran sing. He sounds like a drum. Dum-dum. Chi-ka pshhh!
See Keiran act. Now he acts like he is smart. But he is still a fool.
See Keiran see films. Booooring. Keiran smiles when he sees films. He likes films.
See Keiran kick college's butt, take odd jobs and try to figure out his life.
Thursday, May 19, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
11 comments:
There you go. See, i wasn't asking u to dumb down the language completely, this is fine.
yes, I finally get the gist of what you saying in this post. This is the kind of language I can understand.
lol... your whole story summarized in 12 lines of primary school memories. It's as interesting as it is cute, but you're still a mad man.
Maybe mad isn't the word...unique...that's it! Keiran is unique!
Good to know Keiran has found his niche!
see, I knew this was going to happen one day... he was on the path to mental insanity. We all saw it coming.
Why?! Why?! Why?!
He was so young.
Run Keiran Run!!
If they only understood the significance of these lines they'd realize how brilliant this piece is.
There are so many aspects that I enjoyed on my first, second and third read...yes, I read it more than once. I really think it's brilliant how you weave your words so that thoughts in earlier lines reconnect with those in later lines.You draw parallels, yet you point out differences.Fantastic.
Also, the poem is so personal that only the few who have travelled these physical and emotional paths with you will truly understand.
Worth mentioning is the metaphor of walking just like your dad, on the surface just another likeness between father and son that any casual observer could make,but at another level, the similarity between the choices you both make to "walk" your lives at the same pace - that was undoubtedly one of the best moments of this poem, for me.
I don't really know how to describe this other aspect that added to my enjoyment of this poem. It has something to do with the balance you have created by its format.
Finally, profoundly wrapped up in some of your lines are your own feelings about particular phases of your life. You actually confront those feelings by stating them. Wonderful. Keep writing. A great gift has been bestowed on you.
Thanks mom for that, now the prose makes so much more sense. But I always knew Keiran was smart!
Society sets its standards of us. Finish school, have a good job and stable relationship by 30. Blah, blah, blah. But what's the rush. Take your time, feel it out and come up with something you enjoy doing.
Run with the wind. So few of us get to. Do you think I'd choose to study for five years. Naw!!
You'll come into your own - and you'll be all the more interesting for it. Think of the stories for the young 'uns (yours or otherwise).
What?
Faulkner is interesting!
Post a Comment