Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Connection: Chapter 5

Li Anger's eyes flew open. She had the inexplicable certainty that she was not alone. She pulled the covers tight and listened. The darkness heightened her fear and seemed to blanket her ears. Out of the corner of her vision she sensed movement. Stealthily, her hand slipped under the sheets for the hardcover book she fell asleep reading. The floor creaked softly. In one fluid motion, she spun off the bed and flicked the wall switch, the book held menacingly above her head.

The intruder was caught unawares, blinded by the rush of light and movement. Quickly, Li sailed the book at his head and simultaneously sent a bare foot into his groin. The man doubled over and fell to the ground. Li bounded over the bed and found a five-pound barbell. She was about to put it to use when the man groaned something unintelligible.

"What was that?" she snapped.

"Please, I'm not a burglar. I'm not here to hurt you."

The gentility of the voice stopped her, and the adrenaline ebbed. Still holding the weight, she approached the man cautiously.

"Listen to me. The North Tower is on fire. I live on the ninth floor. I was just trying to get away," Robert said, rubbing his groin. Li moved to the broken window, sidestepping the shards on the carpet. The chilled breeze penetrated her nightgown and her body responded. It is on fire, she realized. Dropping the barbell on the bed, she turned back to the man and took in his appearance anew. He was dressed in a knee-length close-fitting trench coat. She noticed the edge was burnt. The close cut and felt hat accentuated his slim frame. He looked more like a Mafia hitman than a thief.

On the carpet, Robert read the title of the weapon used against him - Landmarks in Linguistic Thought: The Western Tradition from Socrates to Saussure. He faced his attacker by the window. She was about five-eight with a dancer's lithe body. He could see her pert breasts peeking through the nightgown. He forced his gaze higher. A pair of intense black eyes returned his stare. Her face was an appealing mix of Eastern and Western features framed by shoulder-length black hair. He held out a gloved hand.

"Robert Warren," he offered.

She took a step towards him and met his hand. "Li," she said. "I'm sorry I kicked you."

Given the length of her gown and his low vantage point, it took a moment for her words to register.

He said, "That's okay. I'll be fine, I hope." She smiled then, a beautiful smile that transformed her face. Robert swallowed. "We've got to get out of the building. The fire might spread."

Li understood. She grabbed her keys from the dresser with one hand and Robert's arm with the other. "Let's go," she said. Robert followed her out the room to the elevator. The lights above the doors indicated the eleventh floor.

"C'mon," he said. "We'll take the stairs. Faster." The layout was identical to the North Tower, so he led her into the stairway and down the floors. The sound of their feet, one booted and one bare, echoed upwards in a strange percussive blend. Hurrying behind him, Li was abruptly cognizant of her lack of clothing. She considered going back, at least for a brassiere or shoes, but decided against it. A part of her secretly enjoyed the risqué situation. He is kinda cute.

Now that the immediate peril had passed, Robert was starting to piece together information. The only gasoline in the building would be in the ground floor kitchens. There was no plausible reason for gasoline to be on the ninth floor unless the fire was deliberately set. This was no accident. This was arson. It could have been an illusion, but Robert thought that the fire was most intense right outside his room. He also remembered the carpet was wet, presumably with the fuel. Was someone trying to kill me? He dismissed the idea. No one wanted him dead. The very notion was ridiculous. Still, the last thing he glimpsed on the laptop before he projected it through the window nagged at him.

They hit the ground floor running. As they headed for the exit, Li jabbed her elbow onto a red button. A loud intermittent klaxon blared through the building. Robert looked at her.

"Good thinking," he said. He took in the grace with which she ran easily beside him. He slipped off his coat and placed it around her shoulders. She gave him a wink. They burst outside the building. The weather had worsened. The snow slapped their faces. Li snuggled inside the trench coat. She kept lifting her feet. Robert could barely see, but it was the sound that made him spin around. Ten feet away, a tan SUV flicked on its fog lamps as it roared out of the parking lot. Robert squinted to make out the oversized decal emblazoned on its side. Tires squealing, the vehicle disappeared. Were his eyes playing tricks? It couldn't be. He had to know.

"Li, do you have a car?" he asked. She tore her eyes from the blazing building.

"Yeah, over there," she indicated. "Why?"

"I need to follow the SUV that just drove off."

Her mind knew it was crazy, but she started moving towards her car. What am I doing? I don't even know this man. Her feet slipped in the snow and she lost her balance. Firm hands caught her midsection. Warm hands. She slowly removed them and turned. "Thanks," she said. "You better drive. I barely have anything on."

I noticed, Robert thought. He took the keys from her and pressed the alarm. A lime green Beetle came to life in front of them. Unlike the adjacent mounds of white, this car was lightly dusted with snow. Li read his expression and said, "I came home late." Robert nodded. They got in the car and closed the doors. He tossed the laptop on the backseat. The cocoon of warmth was a welcome respite. Li grinned.

"You're lucky I had only been asleep for a half hour, or I would never have woken up. I'm a very deep sleeper."

"I'm lucky?" he asked incredulously. "You conked me on the head and kicked me in the nuts."

"Well I'm not gonna kiss it better," she said. "You shouldn't have been sneaking into a young lady's room."

With a wry smile, he gunned the engine. His hand went for the transmission. Manual. Sliding into reverse, he backed neatly into the snowy lot. He shifted into first, and the Beetle responded eagerly. It hugged the asphalt as he turned onto the road. Snow tires. Li leaned over and flicked on the wipers. Robert snuck a look down her gown. A whiff of her shampoo drifted toward him. He shook his head clear and peered through the windshield. Visibility was abbreviated to about five yards. He changed into second.

Li tensed as she saw the scenery appear and disappear in the snow. Maybe it was a stupid idea to let him drive. But, she reasoned, if I drove and the police stopped us, we'd be in trouble. The lingerie made her feel very feminine and sexy. Combined with their present danger inside the car, excitement coursed through her body. She looked at Robert, his features set in concentration. There was strength behind the eyes. He sensed her gaze and turned, softening his expression. She really had an entrancing beauty.

The deafening blast of a horn jerked his attention back to the road. Headlights glaring, a truck materialized out of nowhere and barreled towards them. There was no time to think.