Friday, May 27, 2005

Write On

Paradoxically, in order to avoid a summer of attrition, I've decided to dig myself a little deeper in my literary trench. This effort will manifest itself manifold: on this blog, as lots and lots of reading and absorption of ideas, as regular doses of news and opinion in print and online, and also as new fiction material. I've found another reserve of energy, oddly enough, from a magazine article whose content is far removed from writing, but whose style and vernacular seems a more polished version of my own. Embracing my life as an artist has meant coming to terms with a painful level of exposure. Every photograph I print, film I screen, and scene I stage is an opening up of the parts of me that life trains me to hide. I have had to reconfigure my expectations. It's a brave and exciting new world that I am learning how to experience, like a child. Detraction is my traction; failure is my fuel. I'm carpe-ing the diem.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I often think of those times in your childhood when you were on stage and willingly exposed yourself, with all your insecurities to an audience, and muse that even then the budding artist, with the courage to open up parts of himself to criticism, to look at himself through other people's eyes, was emerging.
Your ability to embrace this aspect of your newfound artistic world does not surprise me.

Anonymous said...

whooow mom, easy on the memories... but while we're on the subject... my very first memory of Keiran is a little boy, on a stage, singing through tears... go figure.