Instead of spending four months amongst family and friends on a tropical island, I have chosen to stay here, in upstate New York, where summer is more of a transition between spring and fall than a full-blown season. The most gut-wrenching part of not going back to Jamaica is the sacrificed opportunity to reconnect with Darren, 15, and Brandon, 10, my younger brothers. I really miss them. I miss the impromptu games of football and the clockwork arguments over the validity of a goal. I miss Darren's irrepressible spirit and his witticisms that manage to be simultaneously subtle and sophomoric. I miss Brandon's toothy smile, healthy bronzed skin and wide wondering eyes.
They're also huge pains in the arse, but who cares about that when I'm lost in my selective memory?
But I'll be working my arse off instead, spending my downtime learning the art of cinema under the guidance of a true genius of the medium, David Gatten. A once-in-a-lifetime opportunity that I cannot miss. To reconcile my guilt, I guess I will have to make a film about my brothers over the Christmas break.
Sunday, May 01, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Hamil has one 'L' you mop head. Where are you in your programme and how soon do I see your work at those Independence film awards? I want a panoridim music video so hurry up!!
I heard that you not coming home because of the "once in a lifetime opportunity". Well I hope it i worth it. have fun, and I guess at some point I will hear all about it.
Post a Comment